Deep Thoughts...

Monday, September 11, 2006

My roommates' responses of what the definition of PR was ranged from Kaitlin saying, "the people side of business," Katie saying, "it's talking for the company they're representing, " and Melissa saying, "helping to communicate information to the people." When I had asked them if they knew someone in a high-profile PR job, Melissa and Katie didn't know any, but Kaitlin responded with "the only PR person I know is Samatha Jones from Sex and the City."

I told them my definition of PR and the books version that included Harlow's definition that it "helps establish and maintain mutual lines of communication, understanding, acceptance, and cooperation between an organization and its publics" (pg 5). In a way, all three of them were right, but they didn't have the full picture of PR. At least my roommates didn't think that I was going into a profession where I would have to "spin" information for the companies, but just thought that as part of my job, I would be the voice between the public and the company, organization, or client I was representing. On the other hand, no one really knew anyone in a high-powered PR job except for Kaitlin who remembered Samatha from her favorite TV show worked a PR job organizing events and major parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home